Last weekend was prom. The night before my little bro calls me and says:
"Ummmm Candyce? I need like one of those flower thingies for prom. Can you find me one or something?" Because I don't keep a stock of flowers in my fridge, I was unable to help him so last minute. So I turned to my friends at the Mace of Base (Maceys) and this is what I found:
More corsages and boutonnieres than I have ever seen in my life. They had literally HUNDREDS of corsage and boutonniere orders. I also found a big sign reading Maceys Floral is no longer accepting prom orders. We are out of flowers. Holy crap! Luckily, I was able to take apart mess ups and gather a few things off the floor to put together 2 corsages for my little brother and little brother in law. Dont worry, they didn't look like mess ups or floor garbage after a little tweaking and gluing.
After being there with them during this hectic time, I grew a new appreciation for the prom florist. When trying to take orders they are constantly hearing things like "her dress is a tealish like color" (its the ish that gets you. Any color could be anything if you add an ish on the end of it.) Or things like: "So like my date might trade dresses with her friend so... her dress color might change so... if it does could I have you change the color of the corsage when I come to pick it up?" Or there is always the person who wants black flowers. Enough said about them.
Anyway, these florists work hard. The Maceys girls were up until the wee hours of the morning the night before. All I can say is, I don't think I will ever offer prom services. Young people, I love you. But I don't know what color tealish is. (Do they mean just teal? Blue? Green? Aqua? Light chartuse? I still don't know.)

The fridge, after most had already been picked up.

This photo is from The Posie Shoppe, a flower shop I have become "friends" with online. Yes, I call people I have never actually seen face to face my friends.
They are very talented, I love these prom corsages.


This is what I call Teal.
I love reading your blog and seeing your pictures! Your ode to prommers made me laugh after having taken many of those 'ish' color orders. It's funny! I hope all is going well.
ReplyDeleteI loveish this blogish thingish. Holy crap... I know the feelingish, ish. And your corsages turned out beautiful, not ish. The straight up truth. Peace out!
ReplyDeleteISH>
candace, this is SOO fun that you do weddings! how creative are you. where are you living now?
ReplyDelete